Connect With Us

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Pinterest
Email us UglyPaxtonSisters (at) gmail.com

Friday, December 18, 2015

Fresh. Local. Racing

For Indy runners and walkers planning out their 2016 race schedule, I highly recommend the Indy East Race Series, four great local 5K races that each benefit a different Near Eastside nonprofit and run through the very neighborhoods your race dollars are supporting.

Winner winner! Pogue's Run Dinner
First up: the Circle City Donut Dash on February 20th, benefiting Teachers' Treasures.  This race was previously known as the Hot Chocolate 5K, but now it's been added to the Indy East Race Series with some serious improvements: donuts on the course and at the end, and a special coffee-flavored beer created by Sun King Brewery just for the race!  Plus all teachers who participate receive a free trip to Teachers' Treasures.

Next: the Englewood Race for Roofs on April 2nd, benefiting a housing scholarship fund for neighbors who need temporary help with the cost of housing.  This will be my 5th year participating in this event.  It's one of my favorites every year.  Last year, I won my age group!  See my 2015 race recap here.  I'm always passionate about this race and the cause it supports, because I believe everyone has the right to a safe and affordable place to live.  The neighborhood really comes out to support this race and cheer the runners on.

Shh! Don't tell Momma her pic's here
Next up: the Brookside Bash Color Dash on May 14, benefiting the Paramount School of Excellence.   The kids at the school came up with the idea in 2013 to hold a color run in conjunction with the Brookside Bash neighborhood celebration.  The kids staff the color stations and enthusiastically douse runners with color powders as we run from the school grounds through Brookside Park and back.  I didn't do this race last year as it was so soon after Kevin's death that I wasn't up to it yet, but you can see my 2014 race recap here.  I also did it in 2013 with Josh and my parents. 


Finally, the Arsenal 5K on September 17, benefiting students on the Near Eastside through college scholarships (more than $30,000 since 2000!) and money to support school clubs and activities.  This race starts and ends on the track at Arsenal Tech High School, and the course winds around the beautiful school campus.  You can read my 2013 race recap here, and my 2014 race recap here.  Sadly no 2015 recap as I had a schedule conflict. 

Arsenal 5K After Party at Flat12 Bierwerks
I hope you will join me at the Indy East Race Series this year.  You can do all four of these great local races for only $60!  That's often the cost of just one race, especially from big national for-profit race promoters.  Here you know your money is staying local and helping residents of the Near Eastside of Indianapolis.  If you're running for SWAG then I can tell you that while they don't do finishers' medals, all these races have great shirts every year.  They also have really good post-race refreshments donated by local vendors.

Disclaimer: I am receiving a free entry for the Race Series in exchange for promoting it this year.  However, all opinions are my own, and I would still be doing these races anyway even without the promotional consideration.  I have worked on the Near Eastside since 2009 and have really fallen in love with this neighborhood.  I love the people and organizations working to revitalize this area, and I'm proud to be part of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment