Connect With Us

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Pinterest
Email us UglyPaxtonSisters (at) gmail.com

Monday, September 22, 2014

Three 5Ks in 48 Hours

I didn't exactly mean to sign up for three 5K's within 48 hours of each other.  It just sort of happened.  But I didn't run myself into the ground, I didn't get injured, and they were all a lot of fun.  Plus I think I learned something important about why I haven't gotten much faster.

Channeling my inner Starbuck, photo by CCRG

Merrell 5K Summer Series # 3

This race was on Thursday evening at the Monon Center in Carmel, same place as the first two.  Our Indy Women's Fall Training group did all 3 of these as part of our training, and they were all a lot of fun.  The course is really pretty, and has some slight elevation changes to make it challenging.
Close, but no PR

Thursday evening it was in the low 60's, and I thought if I had any chance of a new PR it would be at this race.  As it turns out, I came really close.  I might have done it if it had been chip start & finish, instead of gun start & chip finish.  I also might have done it if I hadn't slowed down around mile 2, thinking I could push more at the end if I gave myself a slight break in the middle.  More on that later.

Arsenal 5K

This race was on Saturday morning. It wasn't chip-timed, so I just ran at an easy pace and had fun.  I did this one last year too, since it's in the neighborhood where I work and I like to support all the exciting things happening on the Near Eastside.

I ran with my friend Kathy, and we had a good time.  I think we finished in 37-something.  We were both using it as an easy training run, so we didn't really worry about time.

It's a really pretty course through the Arsenal Tech High School campus, and all proceeds go to scholarships for graduating Tech seniors.  This event is in its 5th year and keeps growing.  I had lots of friends there, and I made a few new ones too.  I love the shirts we got this year.  If Tech has another great year in basketball season, I think I will get a lot of use out of it. 

Chateau Thomas Winery 5K

Floating across the finish line, photo by Fun-Races
I brought the skirt out for this one since it was a Saturday evening race.  I had hoped after Thursday's near-PR that I would be able to get it this time, but I didn't.  Official time was 36:11.  I was 6th out of 27 in my age group, so that's kind of cool.  Nice race swag too:  a red shirt (I don't have much red), pretty cool medal, souvenir wine glass, and one glass of wine.  I don't think I've ever had any wine from Chateau Thomas before.  I chose the Riesling, and it was very good.

Again I had a lot of fun at this race.  But also, I believe I figured out why I am not really getting faster.  Well, besides the fact that I'm not doing much speed work.  As I've mentioned before, I generally run at a comfortable, enjoyable pace, and don't really push myself.  In short runs like this, I almost always feel like I could've done more.  But it wasn't until around mile 2.5 of this race that I realized why I don't.

THE VOICE is still there.  The one that used to tell me I couldn't run a whole race, and then that I couldn't run a half marathon.  After I did one, it told me that was just a fluke and I couldn't do it again.  But after I did do it again, I thought THE VOICE had shut up since I didn't notice it anymore.  However, it sneakily changed tactics and I didn't even realize it.  Every time I start to push myself, THE VOICE tells me I can't run that fast & I'd better slow down or I won't make it.  And I slow down, without even realizing why.

I know I need to pace myself on long runs or long races, but I really should be okay pushing harder on 5Ks, and now that I know it's THE VOICE stopping me and not any physical limitations, I am confident I can beat it.  It's probably also why I haven't been doing the speed work Lindsey sent me as much as I should.  But now I will.

Up Next

This Sunday is the Chocoholic Frolic 10K.  I think just about everyone I know in the Indy area that runs even occasionally is doing this race, so it should be a blast.  With chocolate-covered Oreos at every water stop, however, it's going to be more of a fun run than a run for time.  Is it possible to gain weight while you run?

Santa Hustle Race Discount!

If you'd like to run the Santa Hustle 5K or Half Marathon in Indianapolis on 12/21, go HERE to register and use discount code TERHAZELIN to save $5!

No comments:

Post a Comment