Connect With Us

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Pinterest
Email us UglyPaxtonSisters (at) gmail.com

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Coming Up: Race for Roofs 5K 2015

I have another fun race coming up to tell you about, and if you are in Indy I really encourage you to run or walk this one with me.  It is the 5th annual Race for Roofs 5K on March 28 (click here to register), and proceeds go into a rental scholarship fund for Near Eastside residents working towards more healthy and permanent housing.

If you know me in real life, you know that affordable housing is something I am passionate about.  Everyone deserves a safe and affordable place to live.  So this race and the cause it supports is very important to me.  This will be my 4th year participating in it, and I always look forward to it.
  • 2012: The race used to be in late June instead of March.  I had just started run/walking using a Couch to 5K app.  I signed up for this race knowing I would still be walking part of it, but I didn't know how much.  Back then the race was 5 miles instead of 5K.  Oops.  So I ran 1.85 miles, and walked the rest.
  • 2013:  The race was still in June and was still 5 miles, although there was also a 2.5 mile option.  At this point in my running, I was just beginning to train for my first half marathon.  I had not run 5 miles yet but I'd come pretty close, and I was determined to run the entire race.  June 2013 was also when we began this blog, so you can read my race recap and an update here: http://uglypaxtonsisters.blogspot.com/2013_06_01_archive.html.  Note that in my recap I mention the homemade cookies in the SWAG bag?  I'm hoping those make a comeback this year.
  • 2012 my first finish line photo
  • 2014: The race moved to March and was changed to a 5K.  Race day was miserably cold, raining at the start & changing over to snow.  But don't let that deter you from signing up this year!  Official results are here, and they show me 2nd in my age group.  Maybe this year will be my first age group win?
2013 starting line
Since this is a small local race, streets are not closed for it, but a lane is blocked off with cones.  There are plenty of police and volunteers along the course as well, so I always feel safe.  The volunteers really cheer on the runners, too.  It's a lot of fun to run a race with so much support along the way.  There are 2 water stops, if I remember correctly.  No finishers medals, but the t-shirts are nice, and hopefully those homemade cookies will come back.  There are plenty of snacks at the finish, and last year we had coffee from Tin Comet.  I hope that reappears this year also.

2013 post race selfie!
I hope I have talked you into running this race with me.  Click HERE to register.  Walkers, dogs, & strollers are welcome too.  I don't have a discount code for you, but it's only $20 so you don't really need one right?  If you want to run it for only $15, you can sign up for it as part of the 3 East 5K Race Series (click here to register for the Series).  That gets you three local 5K races for only $45 if you sign up by February 28:
  • Race for Roofs 5K on March 28
  • Brookside Bash Color Dash on May 16
  • Arsenal 5K on September 19
If you want to know more about either of those races, click the links for recaps of:

No comments:

Post a Comment