Connect With Us

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Pinterest
Email us UglyPaxtonSisters (at) gmail.com

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Training Tuesday with Tips from Jeff Galloway

We are excited to announce that we have been selected to be a member of the Jeff Galloway Blogger
Program!  We will be bringing you exclusive content and tips from Jeff Galloway, and some special discounts too.  Look for these training tips every other Tuesday, and please let us know what you think.

Jeff Galloway is a well-known Olympian, coach and runner.  I personally started running using his Couch to 5K app with scheduled walk breaks.  Check out his tips below in blue (with some commentary in italics from me), and don't miss the coupon at the bottom.  If you are interested in hearing more from Jeff, sign up for his free newsletter at www.JeffGalloway.com. 

When paced correctly, running delivers the best attitude boost you can get. Sustain this by pacing yourself gently during the first mile or three.

A well-paced run enhances vitality for the rest of the day.  Start each run at least 30 seconds a mile slower than you will run at the end.
 Teresa: This one is hard to do when you are feeling fresh & ready to run, but if you get it right the end of the run is so much better!

If you have a Run Walk Run strategy that is right for you on that day, it's possible to feel good after every run-even the marathon.

Running is the best stress reliever I've found. Research shows that running tends to activate the conscious brain which over-rides the emotional subconscious brain and manages the negative and anxiety hormones during and after the run.

Research shows that as runners get faster, their stride length shortens.  A quicker cadence is the mechanical key to faster running.
Teresa: This goes along with the tip Mark (Laura's husband) told me: if I want to run faster I should pick my feet up a little higher.  That makes me shorten my stride.  

The finishing of a run that is longer than you've run in the last 3 weeks can bestow a sense of achievement that is unique and empowering-due to positive brain circuits that are turned on.

You can't run a long run too slowly or take too many walk breaks.  You'll get the same endurance based upon the distance covered.
Teresa: This is one of Jeff's basics that I always hold on to.  Some days due to heat, hormones, or whatever; I just don't have it in me to keep running.  But I can always take a walk break and then pick it back up.  When I did my first half marathon, I took walk breaks during my longest training run of 10 miles because it was so incredibly hot.  Race day was cool and perfect and I ran the whole thing.  It really does work!
Have any of you trained using Jeff's methods also?  We'd love to hear what you think!

 
Save up to $200
Looking to run a half marathon or marathon that goes beyond the ordinary?   RUN ITALY Tours offers more than others do and travel with "Coach Jeff".
March 22, 2015 - Rome Marathon 26.2, 13.1 and 5K distances
Book and save up to $200 at www.RunITALY.com
 
Offer Expires: 2/14/15

Disclaimer: We receive no compensation or special consideration for participating in the Jeff Galloway Blogger Program.  We are doing it because we believe the content will be as interesting and beneficial to you as it is to us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment