Connect With Us

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Pinterest
Email us UglyPaxtonSisters (at) gmail.com

Monday, January 11, 2016

Ten Days of Epic

Since we have our 2016 motto of Do Epic Every Day, here's some of the epic I did during the first ten days of the year:

Resolution Run 5K
Our faces froze like that.
I began the year with a New Year's Day 5K.  It started and ended on Georgia Street, circling around Lucas Oil Stadium.  It was a really fun race, but that wind though!  The north-south streets especially were wind tunnels.  I finished in 34:39, just 52 seconds off my 5K PR of 33:47.  I think I may be looking at a new PR soon, on some calm, wind-free day.

Refit Dance Class
I have a couple of friends who teach this at Mount Pleasant Community Life Center, but it is a nationwide mission so check the link to find classes near you or even watch some online.  It's a faith-based dance workout to positive, uplifting music.  It's for all fitness levels, and it's a lot of fun.  I'm glad I went to try it out, and I am adding this to my regular schedule.



Rain Run
As I often do on Saturdays when I don't have a race scheduled, I literally ran my errands.  I needed to make some bank deposits for work and then drop some payments in the mail.   Although the weather app on my phone said it wasn't supposed to start raining until 2pm, it was already misting when I headed out around 10:30.  I was soaked by the time I got to the bank, but the deposits stayed dry in my backpack.  Since I didn't have a specific mileage goal, I just turned around and went straight back home.  There's nothing like a good run in the rain to make you feel like you are a real runner. 

I tried a new energy supplement on this run: Quic Disc Simply Carbs.  I got them in a race swag bag a while back, but hadn't opened them yet.  I didn't really need anything on this run, I just wanted to try one, so I ate one at the bank (3.45 miles out from home).  These are lemon-lime flavor and taste really good.  They look like candy wafer tablets, and chew up really easily, like sweet tarts.  This would be a good alternative for people who don't like the gummy-style chews.  The plastic tube is easy to open and close, and is very convenient for carrying these with you on long runs.


Coming Up: Indy East Race Series
I can't end a blog post without reminding you to sign up for the Indy East Race Series: four local 5Ks, each raising money for a different local non-profit.  If you sign up by January 15th, you'll pay only $60 for all four races.  Four t-shirts.  Four chances to see if I improve my 5K PR.  And most importantly, four chances to support organizations doing great work here on the Near Eastside of Indianapolis.





No comments:

Post a Comment